Let’s Talk About Tanks—Object 430U Edition
It's like we're shooting spitballs! Sound familiar when facing the Object 430U? Let's talk about that.
My name is Jeff Gregg, and I am the Lead Designer on World of Tanks Valor Welcome to “Let’s talk about tanks!” The goal is to highlight specific tanks, one at a time, and really dig down into what makes them tick, how they are being used, and how approaches may be taken to improve them if necessary.
This article focused on the Object 430U! Let’s get started.
We have analyzed numerical data on this tank.
The things that stand out the most are:
- This tank has an above 50% win rate
- This tank is preferred by skilled players, but benefits all players that use it regardless of skill.
- This tank is a damage blocking monster for Mediums at this tier.
- This tank hits hard when it pens, but on average is acceptable in terms of damage output per battle.
Based on this we plan on doing the following:
- Decrease the vehicle’s health from 2,000 to 1,900 (5% reduction)
- Armor is unchanged, but penetrating shots are more deadly
- Adjust the vehicle’s terrain resistance
- Firm= 0.6
- Medium = 0.7
- Soft = 1.6
- Firm = 0.6 (no change)
- Medium = 0.8 (14.3% increase, makes rotation in medium terrain such as sand more difficult/slow)
- Soft = 1.8 (12.5% increase, makes rotation in soft terrain such as mud and water more difficult/slow)
- This will encourage tankers that use this vehicle to try to stick to the roads and encourage them to really plan when going thru softer environments
The above changes will take place on June 30th after the server maintenance.
Let’s look at the tank’s win/loss compared to skill. In the below picture we see two lines, one that represents the entire population’s win/loss and another that represents this tank’s win/loss.
The Object 430U performs better for all players at all skill levels. See the blue line above the other line? The blue line is the Object 430U, where the other line is all tier X tanks. So this tank appears to benefit any player that has it and uses it in battle. That tells us that even tho this tank is more attractive to higher skill players, it is powerful in the hands of any skill:
This tank shows a clear draw for more skilled players.
How much damage does it usually block? This tank is the #1 tier X medium tank for damage blocking. By a LOT. It blocked ~ 1.5x more damage than the # 2 Tier X Medium and 2.3x more damage on average than all Tier X Mediums!
Damage per battle: this tank is in the top 1/3 of the pack for tier X mediums and damage per battle with an average of ~ 1,960 per battle.
In order to measure the impact of these changes once they are committed, we need at least 5,000 battles in the tank(s) to have enough data. Once we have that amount of info, we will report back here on what the results were and (if necessary) what the next steps will be.
If you have feedback about this process or have further questions, reach out! Stay tuned here for results of the test and for what the next tank we focus on is.
See you on the battlefield!
Read the full in-depth article by Jeff Gregg, Lead Designer, in the dedicated Forum Thread.