My name is Jeff Gregg, and I am the Lead Designer of World of Tanks: Valor. Welcome back to “Let’s Talk About Tanks!”
As a reminder, the goal was to highlight specific tanks, one at a time, and really dig down into what makes them tick, how they are being used, and which approaches may be taken to improve them if necessary.
Let’s see how our changes to the AMX 50 Foch (155) have impacted the game.
What we did
As a reminder: the following changes were made to this tank:
- Increase the Hull Armor in key panels by ~15%
- Armor Panel 3: 40 mm → 46 mm
- Armor Panel 11: 40 mm → 46 mm
- Armor Panel 20: 50 mm → 58 mm
Let’s take a look at what occurred.
All data below is from Random Battles between May 6 (first full day of changes) and May 26, 2020.
Here is a breakdown of what we saw:
- Avg Win Rate: 51.92% (up from the previous average of 50.6%)
- 50.74% using the stock package
- 53.01% using the upgraded package
- Avg Survival: 30.07% (up from the previous average of 29%)
- 29.97% using the stock package
- 30.16% using the upgraded package
- Avg Damage Blocked: 757 (up from the previous average of 729)
- 730.5 using the stock package
- 783.5 using the upgraded package
- Win rate after the change (cross-referenced with skill)—REALLY beneficial to low-skilled players, but that may be an outlier, as the rest has very much remained steady across the line:
Action Items and Next Steps
We are making additional side armor edits to bring it in-line with the Tier IX hull, which is currently blocking an average of 809 damage.
- armor_3: 46 -> 70
- armor_11: 46 -> 70
- armor_20: 58 -> 80
We are also adjusting the yaw limits on the stock gun to match the upgraded gun for better playability.
- 155 mm AC SA58
- Yaw Limits: -6/6 -> -10/10
The above changes will go live on June 16 after Tuesday’s server restart.
We are going to continue to monitor the tank (especially the upgraded package) to see if it normalizes or trends OP. If the latter, we will continue to edit and communicate our decisions.
Thanks, and see you on the battlefield!