The Commander System
One of the best ways to increase the power of your favorite vehicle is to put a Commander in charge of it.
A Commander enhances a vehicle’s performance by using certain Skills. Each Commander can equip a total of nine Skills for a truly customizable experience.
The Commander system replaces the Crew system from earlier versions of World of Tanks Console. To get started with the Commander system, head to the “Commander” tab in the game. This is where all your interactions with your Commanders will take place!
Click below to jump to a specific section and learn more:
- Types of Commanders
- How to Recruit a Commander
- How to Assign a Commander to a Tank
- How to Reassign a Commander to a New Tank
- How to Learn Skills with a Commander
- How to Respec Your Commander’s Skills
- Elite Commander XP and Free XP
- How to Dismiss a Commander
- Important Note Regarding Crews
- Skill List
Types of Commanders
There are three different types of Commanders you can choose from:
- Standard Commanders earn Commander XP at the regular rate and start with one open Skill slot.
- Premium Commanders earn Commander XP at a 15% bonus rate and start with two open Skill slots.
- Hero Commanders earn Commander XP at a 30% bonus rate and start with three open Skill slots.
All Commanders will have a total of nine Skill slots that you can unlock by playing more battles.
How to Recruit a Commander
While on the “Commander” tab, select the “Recruit” tile and choose the Commander you want to recruit from those available.
Congratulations—you’ve recruited your first Commander!
How to Assign a Commander to a Tank
To put your Commander in charge of one of your vehicles, select that Commander from the “Commander” tab. Under “Current Assignment,” select the “Unassigned” tile.
Then, choose which tank you want to assign that Commander to.
- You can assign a Commander to any tank from any nation.
- A Commander’s first assignment is free.
- Reassigning a Commander to a standard non-Premium tank will cost Silver or Gold. However, returning to the last non-Premium tank occupied by the Commander is free.
- Assigning a Commander to a Premium tank of the same nation is free.
How to Reassign a Commander to a New Tank
Got a shiny new tank that you want to assign one of your Commanders to? No problem. You can do that from the “Commander” tab as well:
- Select the Commander you want to assign to a new tank.
- Select the tank tile that shows the tank currently paired with that Commander.
- Select the new tank you wish to assign your Commander to.
Reassigning your Commander to a new tank will cost Silver. Additionally, if you’re transferring your Commander to a tank of a different nation, there will be a Gold fee on top of the Silver fee.
The transfer fees are waived if the target vehicle is a Premium vehicle of the same nation.
How to Learn Skills with a Commander
Once your Commander is assigned to a tank, you’ll see a helmet icon next to that tank in the Vehicle tab’s tank reel. That means your Commander is ready to roll. Start playing battles with that tank to earn Commander XP!
Earn enough Commander XP, and you’ll unlock that Commander’s Skill slots. You’ll then be able to assign Skills to your Commander from the “Commander” tab:
- Select the Commander you want to train in a Skill.
- Select an open Skill slot.
- Select the Skill you wish to equip from the available Skills.
The Skill you choose will be 100% effective as soon as it’s equipped.
Keep in mind, each Skill is tied to a member of the tank’s crew that’s under your Commander’s charge—for example, Rapid Aim is a Skill that’s tied to the tank’s Gunner. If that crew member is taken out of action during a battle, then any Skill tied to that crew member becomes disabled!
How to Respec Your Commander’s Skills
Want to change your Commander’s Skill set? Here’s how to do it:
- From the “Commander” tab, select the Commander you want to respec.
- Press the Y button on Xbox, or the triangle button on PlayStation.
- Confirm your choice and pay the appropriate fees.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: All equipped Skills will be reset, not just one!
Resetting your Commander’s Skills will cost a Gold fee based on the number of Skills that were equipped.
Elite Commander XP and Free XP
Once your Commander has earned enough Commander XP to unlock all Skill slots, they will become an Elite Commander.
Commander XP that Elite Commanders earn can be converted into Free XP for Gold in the in-game Store:
- Select the Store Tab
- Select the Resource Conversion section
- Select the Commander → Free XP Option
Free XP can be used to upgrade any tank from any nation. It can also be used to unlock any Commander’s Skill slots even faster! To unlock a Skill slot using Free XP, select a Commander from the “Commander” tab, select the Skill slot you want to unlock, and confirm your choice to begin research and speed up that progress!
How to Dismiss a Commander
Sometimes, it’s time to move on. To dismiss a Commander from your roster, select them from the “Commander” tab, press the X button on Xbox or the square button on PlayStation, and confirm the discharge.
Note: Dismissing a Commander is permanent and can’t be undone!
You’ll receive 50% of the purchase value in Silver for any Commander you dismiss.
Important Note Regarding Crews
If you played an earlier version of World of Tanks Console that used Crews instead of Commanders, existing Crews will be promoted to Commanders following a set of guidelines.
The promoted crew’s picture, name, voiceover, and tank assignments will transfer to the new Commander. You will no longer be able to customize or change these elements.
All promoted Commanders will have their Skills and Perks reset so that you can select Skills from the new list of more powerful Skills.
Below is the detailed explanation of how Crews are converted into Commanders:
Step 1: We determine the value of the existing Crews.
- This is determined by assigning a value to 100% trained Skills and Perks on all of the Crews. (Partially trained skills/perks are not considered.)
- Skill / Perk 1-4 are worth 1 point each.
- Skill / Perk 5-8 are worth 2 points each.
- Skill / Perk 9-12 are worth 4 points each.
- Skill / Perk 13-16 are worth 8 points each.
- Skill / Perk 17-20 are worth 16 points each.
- Skill / Perk 21-24 are worth 32 points each.
- Skill 25 is worth 64 points
- For example, a Crew with 25 fully trained Skills and Perks is worth 316 points.
Step 2: We promote your Crews to Commanders.
- Commanders have a maximum of nine Skill slots.
- Skill slots are worth the following for a total value of 16 points for a Commander:
- Slot 1-4 are worth 1 point each.
- Slot 5-8 are worth 2 points each.
- Slot 9 is worth 4 points.
- The promoted Crew’s picture, name, voiceover, and tank assignments will transfer to the new Commander.
- All promoted Commanders will have their Skills and Perks reset so that you can select Skills from the new list of more powerful Skills.
Step 3: We apply your points to the new Commanders to unlock Skill slots.
- Points will be applied to the Commanders in the order of how well trained they were prior to the update.
- The Crews that had the most Skills and Perks will be the first ones to receive points to unlock their Skill slots.
- This process will continue until all points are applied to your Commanders.
- If you do not have any Commanders left to give the points to, we will add Commanders to your account as necessary to receive these points, up to a maximum of 23 new Commanders.
- All unlocked Skill slots will be empty so that you can choose which skills to give to that Commander.
Step 4: All unused Crews will be removed from players’ accounts.
- Crews with specialty portrait art will remain, even if unused. This includes special holiday War Chest Crews, Sabaton Crews, Valkyria Crews, and more.
Unused generic Crews will be removed from player’s accounts. Special Crews will remain even if unused.
Want to see all the possible Skills you can fill your Commander’s nine Skill slots with? Take a look at the table below!
|Skill Name||Icon||Effect||Crew Position|
|Adrenaline Rush||15% increase to gun reload speed when under 10% of HP||Loader|
|Armor Angling||5% decrease to damage received||Driver|
|Born Leader||10% increase to effectiveness of all Skills and Commanders effectiveness||ALL|
|Camouflage Expertise||10% increase to camo factor||ALL|
|Clutch Braking||7.5% increase to vehicle rotation speed||Driver|
|Comms Technician||30% increase to radio range||Radioman|
|Controlled Impact||20% decrease to ram damage to self, 20% increase to ram damage to enemy||Driver|
|Deadeye||6% increase to the chance of damaging crew and modules with AP, APCR, and HEAT shells||Gunner|
|Fire Prevention||33% decrease chance of engine fire||Driver|
|Firefighting||10% decrease to fire duration||ALL|
|General Mechanic||10% increase to repair speed for all modules.||ALL|
|Green Thumb||10% increase to tank’s camo factor when in foliage||Commander|
|Gunsmith||30% increase to the accuracy of a damaged gun||Gunner|
|Iron Mace||25% decrease to the effect that distance has on shell penetration||Loader|
|Last Stand||25% increase to Commander’s effectiveness when under 10% HP||Commander|
|Marked Target||3-second increase to the enemy vehicle detection time||Gunner|
|Muffled Shot||35% decrease to the effect of firing on your tank’s camo factor||Gunner|
|Off-Road Driving||15% increase to handling on soft terrain, 7.5% increase to handling on moderately soft terrain||Driver|
|Pain Tolerance||20% decreased chance of crew injury||Commander|
|Quick Learner||10% increase to Commander XP||Commander|
|Rapid Aim||10% increase to turret and gun rotation speed||Gunner|
|Rapid Loading||10% increase to gun reload speed||Loader|
|Run-n-Gun||10% increase to accuracy when moving||Driver|
|Safe Stowage||25% increase to ammo rack durability||Loader|
|Silent Driving||55% decrease to the effect of driving on your tank’s camo factor||Driver|
|Situational Awareness||6% increase to max view range||Radioman|
|Sixth Sense||Instantly alerts you when your tank is detected||Commander|
|Snap Shot||12% increase to accuracy during turret rotation||Gunner|
|Steady Aim||10% increase to accuracy||Gunner|
|Supply Conservation||15% increase to consumable recharge speed||Commander|
|Track Mechanic||25% increase to track repair speed||Driver|
|Trick Driving||30% reduction in fall damage||Driver|