Win tons of rewards and advance in the Seasonal Games!
Master the art of war and conquer your enemies. The newest edition of Commander Mode, our limited time, action-packed RTS mode for the lovers of strategy returns with updated and improved content.
Commander Mode is an event game mode for World of Tanks Console. It brings the best of what World of Tanks has to offer and mixes in RTS mechanics. One side takes the role of the “Commander” (using RTS gameplay) and the other, of the “Tankers” (who will play in the traditional style of World of Tanks).
Enter the mode by selecting Commander from the Game Mode menu
Select Commander to play against a team of Tankers
Select Tanker to join a team of 5 or 6 Tankers against a single Commander
Commanders select 9 of their owned tanks
Tankers select Tanker for a random tank or one of their own
- Select 9 tanks from your Garage
- If you don’t have enough Tier VIII tanks, you can rent some for Gold or Silver
- Rentals can be used in multiple slots
- You can still select the “Tanker” which will give you a random Tier VIII tank to play with.
- Alternatively, bring your own tank into the mode and earn XP and Silver as you fight.]
Commander Console Controls
|Dolly camera||Left Stick|
|Moves cursor||Left Stick|
|Marquee creation||Hold A|
|Add or Remove (depending on existing selection state) from selection (PC)||RT + A/B|
|Attack from Position||LT + X on Enemy|
|Turn on reverse command||N/A|
|Reverse||LT + X|
|Set waypoint||RT + X|
|Reverse waypoint||LT + RT + X|
|Set facing||Hold X|
|Set facing and reverse||LT + Hold X|
|Change formation||Left Stick Click|
|Select all units of this type||Double A|
|Select all Scouts||D-pad Up|
|Select all Mediums||D-pad Right|
|Select all Heavies||D-pad Left|
|Select all Tank Destroyers||D-pad Down|
|Select type and center camera over group||D-pad Up/Right/Down/Left|
|Create Group||RT + Hold D-pad Up/Right/Down/Left|
|Recall group selection||RT + D-pad Up/Right/Down/Left|
|Recall and center camera over group||RT + Double D-pad Up/Right/Down/Left|
|Zoom In/Out||Right Stick Up/Down|
|Rotate camera around Y axis point||Right Stick Left/Right|
|Rotate camera around Y axis point||Right Stick Left/Right|
|Toggle super zoomed state||Right Stick Click|
|(in possession) Select previous tank||X|
|(in possession) Select next tank||B|
|Select All On Screen / Map||RB / RB x2|
Keyboard and Mouse Controls
Keyboard and Mouse are still supported for Commander Mode. Players on either Xbox One or PlayStation 4 will be able to plug-in a keyboard and mouse and play as a Commander or a Tanker.
|Dolly camera||W, A, S, D|
|Moves cursor||Mouse move|
|Tank selection||Left Click on Friendly Tank|
|Marquee creation||Left Click + Hold and drag|
|Add or Remove (depending on existing selection state) from selection (PC)||Ctrl + Left Click OR Shift + Left Click|
|Move/Attack||Right Click on Terrain/Enemy|
|Attack from Position||Ctrl Right Click on Enemy|
|Turn on reverse command||R (Hold)|
|Reverse||R (Hold) + Right Click|
|Set waypoint||Shift + Right Click OR Ctrl+ Right Click|
|Reverse waypoint||Shift + R + Right Click OR Ctrl + R + Right Click|
|Set facing||Right click hold and drag|
|Set facing and reverse||R + Right click hold and drag|
|Select all units of this type||Double Left Click on Ally|
|Select all Scouts||F1|
|Select all Mediums||F2|
|Select all Heavies||F3|
|Select all Tank Destroyers||F4|
|Select type and center camera over group||Double Tap F1/F2/F3/F4|
|Create Group||Ctrl + 1/2/3/4|
|Recall group selection||1/2/3/4|
|Recall and center camera over group||Double tap 1/2/3/4|
|Zoom In/Out||Mouse Wheel|
|Rotate camera around Y axis point||Middle Mouse Click + Hold and drag|
|Rotate camera around Y axis point||Q, E|
|Toggle super zoomed state||Space OR Tab|
|(in possession) Select previous tank||Q|
|(in possession) Select next tank||E|
|Select All On Screen / Map||5/5 x2|
- Commander Units and Tankers in Commander Mode have Crew and Module damage disabled, so don’t worry about losing Crew members or getting Tracked, it’s impossible!
- Commander Units in Commander Mode have unlimited (and free) default ammo.
- All profile stats, such as match outcome (win/lose), accuracy, damage dealt, etc. are disabled for Commander Mode. There’s no need to worry about Commander or Tanker results influencing your hard-earned career stats (or having to pay to repair multiple vehicles at once).
- The mode is accessible from the Game Mode menu, instead of the normal Multiplayer Garage.
This edition of Commander Mode is all about leveling up and rewards (lots of them)!
You will be able to complete mode exclusive Ops and earn heaps of Gold, Silver, Premium Time, Free XP, Boosts and Consumables!
Commander Mode Ops are divided into three categories:
- Event Ops
- Event Ops are available for the duration of a single Commander Mode event. A Commander Mode event is generally 1 week.
- Season Ops
- Season Ops span the course of several Commander Mode events (typically 6). Your progress towards the current Season Ops carries over from event to event.
- Progression Ops
- Progression Ops span the course of a Season, with the number of available tiers increasing with each event in the Season. Example: Progression Ops tier 11 does not become available until the 3rd event within the Season.
Players who completed the Season & Progression Ops over the course of events 1 to 5 of Commander Mode will receive a free Panzerknacker Auto! You will not want to miss it, so get those Ops cleared Commander!
Commands and Command Priority
In general, you may find you are the most successful when you order an attack and THEN a move (in that sequence).
Commands of each individual unit obey these rules:
- Ordering a vehicle to attack an enemy makes that enemy the vehicles top priority until it is dead, moves out of firing range, or a new fire order is received.
- Ordering a vehicle to move will NOT clear its attack command, the vehicle will move and continue to try to destroy the indicated target.
- Ordering a vehicle to attack WILL clear its move command. The vehicle will abandon its move order to prioritize the attack, even if this means stopping in place right where they are to fire.
Vehicles will shoot/defend themselves automatically until given an order to explicitly fire at an indicated enemy
Friendly vehicles will maneuver a bit within a small range of their current position if no move order is in play. This is so they can seek nearby cover, seek line of sight on a target, or angle their armor to try to defend themselves.
Line of Sight Indicator
A line of sight indicator was added to show the sight lines of selected tanks. Hopefully, this will help communicate geometry blocking tanks.
Selected and Non-selected Units
Selected Units have a green ring surrounding them, while non-selected Units do not.
Move To Command and Waypoints
Issuing a Move To Command with a selected Unit (or multiple selected Units) places a flag in the world. The flag represents the position the Unit(s) will move towards, and ultimately, directly on top of. The flag remains in-world until the Unit(s) reaches the destination, a new Command is issued, or the Unit is deselected. Don’t worry if the flag disappears when you de-select a unit, the vehicle is still obeying your move order. You only see the relevant flag for selected vehicles.
Issuing Waypoint Commands allow you to place multiple Move To points in the world. The selected Unit will move to each Waypoint in succession, starting with the first one placed down and ending at the last one placed down. This tactic is very useful for maneuvering Light and Medium tanks across the map!
Lines are drawn on the mini -map to represent the Tank’s path
Unit Reload Indicator
When looking closely at the UI above each Unit, you will be able to view the Reload Indicator. This circular indicator accurately shows when the Unit will fire its next shot! You will also see this reload indicator over the vehicle’s icon on the bottom of the screen when the vehicle is selected.
Targeted Enemy Units
Targeted Enemy Units feature two UI elements indicating a friendly Unit is attacking it. First, a red ring surrounds the enemy Unit. Second, a red target icon appears below the health bar. Both elements will remain visible until the enemy Unit is destroyed, a new Command is issued, or the friendly Unit is deselected.
Company Health Bars
At the top of HUD you can easily see the total health remaining for each Company of Units. Utilize this information to press the attack or retreat!
Contextual Legend and D-pad indicators
Be sure to keep an eye on the bottom left corner of the HUD. The new Contextual Legend provides information to you at nearly all times. If you’ve forgotten how to issue a Command or are not sure what you can do, look to see what the Legend says!
Right below the Contextual Legend you’ll find an updated D-pad icon, representing new functionality aimed at providing quicker Unit selection. Pressing Up on the D-pad instantly selects all Light tanks available. Right on the D-pad instantly selects all Medium tanks available. Down on the D-pad instantly selects all Tank Destroyers available. Left on the D-pad instantly selects all Heavy tanks available. Double press any direction to instantly select all tanks of that type and also snap your camera to the closest tank!
While holding RT/R2 you’ll notice the D-pad indicator changes to represent a variety of numbers. With a few Units selected, you can continue holding RT/R2 and hold any direction on the D-pad to great a Group of Units! To access this new grouping, simply hold RT/R2 once more and tap the associated direction on the D-pad to select or snap your camera to the Units.
Marquee Selection Tool
Holding down ‘A’ on Xbox controllers or ‘X’ on PS4 controllers will bring up the Marquee Selection Tool! Utilize this new feature to paint over Units to quickly select them.
Units will spawn into the match in a pre-determined formation, making it easier to group select specific tank types and send them into battle together!
Advanced Controls, Grouping, and Class Selection
Utilize Advanced Controls and Class Selection to further increase strategic control over your Units!
- Xbox One and 360:
- Hld ‘RT’ and select multiple Units with ‘A’ to create a temporary group!
- Hld ‘RT’ and press and hold any direction on the D-pad with multiple Units selected to create a permanent group of Units. Access this new group by holding down ‘RT’ once more and press the direction you assigned on the D-pad to instantly select the group.
- Duble tap ‘A’ over a single Unit to quickly select ALL available tanks of that type
- Single tap ‘RB’ t select all Units visible on screen
- Duble tap ‘RB’ to select ALL Units in the match
- PlayStation 4
- Hld ‘R2’ and select multiple Units with ‘X’ to create a temporary group!
- Hld ‘R2’ and press and hold any direction on the D-pad with multiple Units selected to create a permanent group of Units. Access this new group by holding down ‘R2’ once more and press the direction you assigned on the D-pad to instantly select the group.
- Duble tap ‘X’ over a single Unit to quickly select ALL available tanks of that type
- Single tap ‘R1’ t select all Units visible on screen
- Duble tap ‘R1’ to select ALL Units in the match
Utilize the Secondary Camera mode for cinematic views!
Clicking the Right Analog Stick in (on any platform) will immediately change the camera into the ‘On the Ground’ view. From this new vantage point, Commanders can get significantly closer to the action!
As a bonus tip, utilize this camera view to check terrain shape, Unit placement, and more!
Clicking the Left Analog Stick(Controllers) or pressing F (Keyboard&Mouse) allows the Commander to change the formation of their tanks
There are a total of 5 tank formations to choose from:
Will I be able to earn XP or Crew XP in Commanders Mode?
Yes. Though the XP rate has been adjusted to support progressing 9 tanks at the same time. Total earn is about equal to a Tier 7/8 battle overall.
Will I pay for repair costs on any tank lost in battle?
Yes, normal World of Tanks: Mercenaries resupply rules will be applied for Commander Mode.
Can I use consumables?
You cannot use consumables during Commander Mode.
Will I be able to equip the tank with camo and inscriptions?
Yes. Since you are going to play with tanks from your garage, any customizations they have will be active during Commander Mode.
When the event is over, will the tanks and garage slots be removed?
Yes. The tanks and garages slot will be removed.
Do I need to have premium time to play Commander Mode?
You do not need to have Premium Time to play Commander Mode
Will Commander Mode have its own Battle Queue?
Yes. Commander Mode will have its own queue
What are the team sizes in Commanders vs Tankers?
Commander features 1 v 6/7 gameplay. A single Commander will face off against up to seven individual Tankers!